Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow on the Ridge


Another snow day is upon us here at Gryffon Ridge, great!!  Since Rick is out plowing and trying to find a place to put all the snow, I am attempting to draft this week’s newsletter.  I know I don’t have his charming way with words and I am not as sarcastic as he is, but I am going to give it a good college try. 


First, I would like to state, enough with the snow already!  I took a job with the school so I could have my summers off, not have to work half the summer due to so many snow days.  I am so looking forward to standing in the middle of a grass field or parking lot and being very warm with the sun shining down on me during markets.  Yes! I am a sun worshipper, I love the heat and I am my happiest when it is 80+.  So why am I in Maine?  I came west from California in 1982 and since most of the roads in New England only run north and south I never found my way home and so started a life here.  Everyone tells me, oh you’ll get use to the cold, when?  When I am dead and it doesn’t matter.  My idea of winter activities is cooking, or if you were up on the ridge yesterday pig wrestling 101.

 Everyone but Zubenelgenubi

The pigs are finding the snow to be working to their benefit; it has snowed so much that the first two lower wires are covered and had shorted out the top wire.  So what do you get when it is feeding time?  Well, I got home yesterday after work and proceeded to get all the feed and water together for the pigs, and as I came out the door and placed everything on the sled to go up to the hill, the pigs heard me.  I look up and here comes Zubenelgenubi walking down the road from their pen to help me bring the food up.  There is nothing more fun then trying to get a 200+ lb pig back into a pen when she doesn’t want to go in.  Now as many of you know I am not a small lady but the last thing I wanted to do on a cold Friday night is wrestle with a pig.  I am glad to say Farmer 1, Pig 0.  I kicked butt and she is now in the pen with a new very hot top wire.  Let’s see her try to go through this one! (Famous last words)

 Zubenel

The ducks are still producing eggs faster than I can sell or eat them.  This morning we got 13 eggs so one of this week’s recipes is going to be a Maine Egg Dish.  One of my friends made this for a work brunch so I have adapted it using as many Maine products as possible.

Maine Strata
Serves 16

3 Cups sliced fresh Oyster Creek Mushrooms
3 Cups chopped Six River Farm Chard
2 Cups cubed Gryffon Ridge Natural Cooked Ham Steak
1 1/2 Cups chopped Goranson’s Farm Onions
1 1/2 Cups chopped green pepper
2 Six Rivers Garlic cloves, minced
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
2 (8 ounce) Packages Cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup Half-and-half cream
9 Duck Eggs
4 Cups cubed day-old Zue Bakery Bread
3 Cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 Tsp. Bolivian Rose Salt
1/2 Tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper

In a large skillet, sauté’ the mushrooms, chard, ham, onions, green peppers and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and cream until smooth. Beat in eggs. Stir in the bread, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture.  Pour into two greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
So, 9 eggs down and 4 more to go for the day.
We do have a new blend coming out this week, Hawaij.  Pronounced Ha-why-idge, it is essential to the cuisine of Yemen and popular in Israel, it is used as a rub prior to grilling meats, vegetables and seafood.  Also Hawaij is used to season stews, sauces, curries and rice.  I first heard of this back in 2007 in one of our several cooking magazines. I have included the recipe below that I clipped for your convenience.

Maraq (Yemeni Chicken Soup)
Serves 6 to 8

As in a pot-au-feu, the broth of this soup is served separately from the meat and vegetables. But unlike the French dish, this Yemenite one is given a brilliant turmeric hue from the spice mixture Hawayij.

6 Whole Chicken legs (about 3‚ lb), drumsticks and thighs split
3 Medium Russet (baking) Potatoes
1 Large Onion, quartered
4 Medium Carrots
1 Bunch Cilantro, tied into a bundle with kitchen string
2 1/2 Tbsp. Hawayij or to taste

ACCOMPANIMENTS: Hilbeh and Zhug

Put chicken and 1 tablespoon salt in a 6- to 8-quart stockpot and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, skimming foam, 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, peel and halve potatoes.  Stir potatoes into broth along with onion, carrots, cilantro, 2‚ tablespoons Hawayij, and enough water to cover if necessary, then simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender but not falling apart, about 1 hour.  Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter and keep warm, covered. Discard cilantro and season broth with additional Hawayij and salt.  Serve each bowl of broth with a dollop of Hilbeh and with chicken, vegetables, and Zhug on the side.

Zhug (Yemenite Chile Garlic Sauce)

A homemade staple in the Yemenite household, this hot chile and garlic sauce becomes an ingredient itself—and may very well play a recurring role on your table.

6 oz. Fresh Jalapeño Chiles (about 6 medium), coarsely chopped
12 Garlic Cloves
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
10 Black Peppercorns
1/4 Tsp. Cardamom Seeds (from a green cardamom pod)
1 Tsp. Sea Salt

Purée all ingredients in a blender, scraping down side, until smooth.

Hilbeh (Yemeni Fenugreek Condiment)

After soaking for two days, the fenugreek seeds release gelatinous properties that—when beaten—give the Hilbeh a billowy texture as delicate as whipped cream.

2 Tbsp. plus 2 Tsp. Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 Cup Packed Cilantro
1 1/4 Cups very cold Water, divided
1/2 Tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Tsp. Zhug
1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt

Soak fenugreek seeds in water to cover, replacing water every few hours for the first day and then just once or twice a day, at least 2 days total.  Drain fenugreek and blend with cilantro and 1/4 cup cold water in a blender until ground to a foamy pale-green paste, scraping down side if necessary, 1 to 2 minutes (add more water if needed).   Transfer paste to a stand mixer with 1/4 cup cold water and beat at high speed until mixture is doubled and holds soft peaks (like whipped cream), about 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup cold water and beat 5 minutes more.  Repeat 2 times.  At low speed, beat in lemon juice, Zhug, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt until just incorporated.
 
Well, now that I have given you several great ideas I think it is time for me to get back to work and finish getting ready for the market tomorrow.  Rick has found his way back up the hill after 2 hrs. of moving snow and he seems no worse for the wear.  Right.  If you believe that I have a bridge in Dresden to sell you.  At times it feels like we live in our own snow globe and no one else can get in.  We hope that everyone has a safe night tonight and we will be seeing you at the market tomorrow.

Specials tomorrow will be, Duck Eggs *S*, $7.00 per dozen, Poultry Seasoning $1.00 off, and Jamaican “Jerk” Seasoning $1.00 off.  Check the white board out for any other specials that might move me when I get there.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment